Your Keto Breakfast Recipes Sorted
When there are no eggs, what do you do on a keto diet?
Eggs are quintessential to the ketogenic diet…but with the nation swooping down on the supermarket egg shelves, what are we meant to eat for breakfast? That is, if you are not fasting until lunch or just having a fat coffee in the morning…
Luckily, there are plenty of other breakfast meals that are totally keto friendly! Here are five breakfast ideas which do not require eggs:
1. Indulge in a Creamy Greek Yoghurt, topped with crunchy Nut Butter and Sublime Berries
2. Warm Your Cockles with this Autumnal Low Carb Porridge
3. Speed out the Door with a Fat Green Smoothie.
4. Feed your Brain with a DHA rich Smoked Mackerel with Guacamole and Watercress Salad
5. Enjoy Smashed Avocado and Smoked Salmon on Keto Bread.
Creamy Greek Yoghurt, topped with crunchy Nut Butter and Sublime Berries
Super speedy, this is an easy Greek Yoghurt with Nut Butter and Berries Bowl which won’t take you any longer than putting together a bowl of cereal—yet will keep you full for hours—unlike a bowl of cereal!
400g Greek Yoghurt (100g per person)
4 Tbsps. of almond nut butter or 2 handfuls of almonds
100g mixed red berries, can be Blueberries, Raspberries or Strawberries
Optional: A handful of shaved coconut flakes for sprinkling and a layer of low carb strawberry jam (recipe below)
Pinch of cinnamon
Half teaspoon of granulated stevia
Serves 4, Time: 5 minutes
1. Spoon the Greek Yoghurt into bowls.
2. Top with nuts or nut butter, the mixed berries and the flaked coconut. You can also alternate layers of the yoghurt, low carb jam and nuts to make a work of art.
3. If it it’s not sweet enough, sprinkle on stevia.
Autumnal Low Carb Porridge
Warm your cockles with this indulgent porridge. A satiating way to start a chilly day that will fill up tummies, big and small.
Serves 4, Preparation Time: 3 minutes, Cooking Time: 7 minutes
For the porridge:
• 500ml water
• 200ml coconut cream or double cream
• 4 tbsp flaxseed, milled or whole
• 4tbsp chia seeds
• 6 tbsp coconut flour or almond flour
• a pinch of pink salt
• a pinch of cinnamon to taste
For the Porridge and Jam:
1. Boil 600ml of water.
2. Set a pan on medium heat and carefully add half the water and stir in all of the porridge ingredients.
3. Stir in the remainder of the water and allow to simmer until your desired thickness is achieved. This usually takes 5-8 minutes
4. In the meantime, set another pan on medium heat and warm the coconut oil.
5. Chop the strawberries and add to the pan, stirring and mashing the strawberries gently.
6. Add stevia or erythritol to the strawberries to taste – optional.
7. Serve the porridge into four bowls.
8. Once the strawberries have softened and warmed through, add a dollop of strawberries onto each serving of porridge. Add extra cream to make this even more indulgent.
Make your own overnight ‘oats’: You can prepare this overnight by blending all the porridge ingredients and allowing to thicken in the fridge until the morning. Then, in the morning simply remove from the fridge and heat either in a pan or in the microwave. You may need to add additional water if the porridge is too thick.
Speed out the Door with a Fat Green Smoothie, see the recipe here for your FREE Keto Smoothie recipe guide.
Feed your Brain with DHA rich Smoked Mackerel with Guacamole and Watercress Salad. Click here for the recipe.
Smashed Avocado and Smoked Salmon on Keto Bread
Okay, this next recipe is a little bit of a cheat!
Serves 4, Preparation time: 5 minutes
8 thin slices of Cru8 Kale Keto Bread from CRU8.
2 ripe avocados
100g smoked salmon. Tip: Check the ingredients on the back of the packaging to ensure that it’s sugar free.
A knob of butter
Salt & pepper to taste
A pinch of paprika for seasoning
Extra virgin olive oil
A squeeze of lemon juice for the salmon (optional)
1. I like to buy Cru8’s amazing kale Keto bread, slice and toast it.
2. Smash up a ripe avocado with salt, extra virgin olive oil and paprika.
3. Spread the butter over the toasted bread.
4. Load the bread with smashed avocado, and a slice of smoked salmon.
5. Squeeze a little lemon juice over each one and enjoy!
Top Time Savers:
Low Carb Jam: You can find low sugar sauces and jams from Good Good’s Sweet Like Sugar Range. There is no need to feel that you have to make everything from scratch!
Keto Granola: Buy delicious ready made keto granola from Keto Hana.
Keto Bread: Cru8 make the most incredible vegan keto and paleo bread, loaves and cookies. Our advice is to slice the loaves and freeze. Then simply remove the frozen slices and toast on a pan when you want to have keto bread. Check them out here.
Looking for more deliciously easy keto recipes? Check out our Ketogenic and Low Carb Recipe Guides. Let us know what other egg free keto breakfasts you have created in the comments section below!